Monday, January 25, 2010

Packing a Lunch

So when I signed up for this mommy thing, there were a few things about it I knew I'd have a hard time with. I'm not a big fan of menial tasks, and I knew that a huge chunk of my time was to be spent doing just those sorts of activities.

We love getting out and doing things, but it means I have to pack us lunches. I think that's probably my least favorite thing about being a mom. Does it get any more monotonous than packing a lunch?

When I pack a lunch, there are several factors I have to keep in mind. (1) I don't want to spend a ton of time putting lunches together when I'm trying to get out the door. (2) I don't want to deal with messes at lunchtime and I don't want to be any more involved than I need to be when I'm trying to feed myself or socialize. (3) My kids want to eat what everyone else is eating, and this isn't the time to have a battle over food. (4) 70% of the time (and especially at Disneyland) my kids are way more interested in the activity of the day than eating.

Balancing these things is hard, but I've found that there are lots of ways to do this without compromising too much on my principles. I don't mind compromising here and there, but since we're often out at lunch I'm not willing to do that with every time. Today's Disneyland lunch is a good example of what I'll pack for them.
Popcorn is a beautiful thing. What kid doesn't love popcorn? I use extra-virgin olive oil in my popcorn popper and pop about a cup at a time. I sometimes add a little sea salt, or I can leave it plain. My boy gobbles it up either way. It's super easy and healthy, too. I just keep it on the shelf in a freezer Ziploc and it keeps for quite a while. This is a great option because the kids love it enough to be totally okay that the kid next to him is eating fruit snacks.

Yup, right there below the popcorn are my juice blocks. =)

I always have plain yogurt and frozen fruit on hand. I stick some fruit (today it was mangoes) in their with the yogurt. The fruit keeps the yogurt cold and defrosts by the time lunch comes around. I have to help them a little bit with the yogurt, but it's worth it to me. They like it, eat it well, and they get their protein in. I'll sometimes do a different finger-protein instead, but the nice thing about fruit and yogurt is that I never have to guess whether I'm going to have to fight with them to eat it, which has been known to happen with chicken or cheese.

In the snack cup are Annie's Whole Wheat Bunnies. These are the compromise, but it could be much much worse. I chose these because they didn't have any soy, trans fats, or refined flour. The vegetable oil is questionable, but it is expeller pressed. The only real problem is that whenever my son has these, he asks for them every snack and meal time for about a week following. He loves them, which makes them great for packing a lunch. I just have to keep them hidden the rest of the time or he'll be mowing through them (and our grocery budget) constantly!

Also on the pricey side is the freeze dried pears. The ingredients list: pears. I love that! They're sweet and yummy, and I find I sometimes have to pack me some, too, or else I'll accidentally eat them all! They're about fifty cents a pack at Costco, so this again is something reserved just for lunches. Or when Daddy is in charge of a meal. =)

Oh and the glorious banana. Nature's best snack food. No crumbs, easy to transport, and it comes in it's own wrapper. Love, love, love. What else can I say?

What about you? What are your favorite things to put in your kids' lunches? I'd love to know!

1 comment:

  1. I am stoked about trying the oven fried chicken! Yum! And about the dried fruit, I don't know if they still have them (0r if you already have one) but they have a GREAT deal on dehydraters at Ross (or did!)... it saves a bundle on dried fruits (and you can do meats, yogurt, etc!)...I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete