Thursday, January 28, 2010

Egg in a Heart

February is here! What a fun month! I love Valentine's Day. And while it's definitely changed some since having kids, it's more fun too. I've been brought back to childhood memories of craft-filled heart parties, exchanging Valentines with whomever, and returning from a fun-filled day reveling in all the warm thoughts and wishes from others. I'd say Valentine's Day is even better these days; there are simply more people to share it with.

Last year my fabulous mother-in-law gave me lots of heart-shaped cookie cutters in different sizes. This year, I'm putting them to good use!

Growing up my mom used to make me Egg in a Hole. A very simple idea, but it was always so special and it brings back fond memories. I'm so very thankful that my kids are good egg-eaters, especially since they don't eat a lot of other meats. Eggs are wonderfully nutritious, especially if you're careful about the ones you buy. My boy especially loves Egg in a Hole, and the resulting "moon toast" that comes when you save the hole and toast it. I showed it to him one time and said "See? It looks like the moon, right?" and ever since he asks for his coordinating "moon toast" everytime I present his Egg in a Hole!

So to start of February right I figured we'd better try Egg in a Heart. I found just the right size cookie cutter and went to work.

Start by buttering both sides of the bread. Grab your cutter (when I make regular Egg in a Hole I just use a glass) and cut out the center. Place both pieces in a pan. Break an egg into the center.


This part is optional: I don't care for undercooked (i.e. over-easy) eggs, so therefore my kids certainly don't, right? I wait a few minutes for the bottom to set a bit and start scrambling with my spatula. Then after flipping, I make sure to poke the center to get all the juiciness out.

Keep an eye on the cut-out piece because it will probably toast (and then burn) much quicker than the rest. After a couple minutes when the egg is mostly set you can flip it over. Let it finish toasting, find a good time to jab if you like your eggs cooked hard, and then serve it up with a sweet, Valentine's Day-ie smile!

1 comment:

  1. SUPER CUTE! My grandma used to make these for us growing up..she called them dutch eggs and just ripped out a chunk/hole of bread in the middle! I like the cookie cutter idea much better! SUPER CUTE & CLEVER!

    ReplyDelete