Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Mama's Prescription for Uneasy Tummies

This winter we were up at the in-laws' cabin with my husbands whole family. 4 of the 9 of us ended up feeling not-so-hot that first night. I won't go into details, but let's just say I sure wished I could throw up like some of the others did! Never been much of a puker, myself...
I decided some gingerale was in order. Unfortunately, any store-bought gingerale I've seen does not have any ginger in it these days! Can you believe it?! Even dearly beloved Trader Joe's. Since ginger is known to settle the stomach and is the key reason people turn to gingerale for tummy upset, I set out on a self-imposed mission to make my own!

Recipe for Homemade Gingerale:
1 cup ginger root, grated
3 cups water
1 cup raw honey
natural mineral water (Perrier is naturally sparkling mineral water, Pellegrino is water with CO2 added)
lime (optional)
lime wedges (optional)
Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan. Add ginger. Reduce heat and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 20 minutes. Strain the ginger out of the liquid, discarding ginger. Mix in honey.
Make individual drinks by mixing 1 part ginger/honey solution with 1 part mineral water. Add a squeeze of juice from a lime and garnish with a lime wedge, if desired.

CAUTION: Homemade gingerale packs a powerful punch! You might need to adjust the ratios to meet you preferences. My picky husband did consume this, but he needed it watered down a little bit. And, he even admitted that it made him feel much better. If you know my husband, he's not one to make this sort of admission lightly!
And since this recipe makes quite a bit, I poured the extra ginger/honey mixture into these ice cube trays and froze it. The cubes now wait patiently in the freezer for the next stomach ailment to enter unwelcomed into our home.

2 comments:

  1. Seriously, Susie, this may be my new favorite blog, making you my new favorite blog writer! Fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! So if I get pregnant again, will you make me some? It can be the ultimate test--hahaha!

    ReplyDelete