Saturday, February 20, 2010

Any Coke Addicts Out There???

I'm so proud of my husband! He kicked his 4+ soda's/day habit! It's been a couple of months now and for the most part he reports that the withdrawals are over. Phew! I'd been working on him for this for a long time. All those long hours of nagging, rationalizing and instilling fear finally paid off! Ok, not really. He had his blood pressure taken at some point while in medic school, and it was high. In fact, he's pretty much staying away from all caffeine.

My on the other hand, well, I'm not as worried about caffiene as long as it's in moderation. In fact there are days in this house where it's necessary to my survival. I am, however, concerned with all the other crap (for lack of a better word) they put in soda. I don't have a particularly strong draw to soft drinks, but every once in a while I just really want one. Especially when my tummy is all in a funk for whatever reason.

A few months ago I was at the market and I noticed an all natural Pepsi. It was like $6 for 4 bottles. The ingredients were something like: sparkling mineral water, sugar, kola nut extract. Then I looked at some of the other drinks they had. There was an "agave" soda, equally as expensive, that was sweetened with agave. It got me thinkin'.

I'd been keeping my eye out for kola nut extract in the stores and haven't been able to find it. So today I finally ordered some here for $12.74 including shipping. I plan to mix it with Perrier and agave to make an all-natural Coke for whenever the "need" arises.

Kola nut extract is extracted from the seeds of the Cola nitrida tree. Descriptions I found online for kola nut extract describe it almost like a vitamin, saying it combats hunger and fatigue. It contains a small amount of theobromine, the mood-enhancing ingredient found in chocolate. I haven't invested much time into checking it out and wouldn't recommend taking this as a supplement, but hey, it's got to be better than Coka Cola, right?

So excited to try it!

1 comment:

  1. That is amazing! My husband is a huge coke (soda) addict also. I also read something else about someone using some kind of carbonated water with vanilla extract and a natural sweetener. Good idea to get the sensation and flavor you want without all the things you can't pronounce and shouldn't put into your body.

    ReplyDelete